Thursday, January 22, 2009

Welcome to Translation R&R!

Just ask any hard-working pro translator what they need most - the answer will be "some R&R." Not just Rest & Relaxation (though that alone would be most welcome), but also some really great Resources & References. R&R is one of the the keys to producing truly first-rate translations (this blog will offer translators the other kind of R&R too).

It will also be jam-packed with tips and info related to the translation profession, including finding good translation jobs and dealing with clients, the usefulness of various software and online tools, translating The Untranslatable, lots of humorous stories and examples of the joys and pitfalls of the translation game, and much more.

I want to start by saying that I love translating. It is for me a passion and a calling. As well as working as a Hebrew-English translator, I run a translator's training program with WritePoint in Jerusalem. Thank God I found teaching, because it allows me to channel my overflowing enthusiasm for my job towards helping others get started, rather than stupefying acquaintances I meet at bar mitzvahs by regaling them with my latest death-defying translation adventures.

I look forward to sharing my knowledge, experience and love of translation with a wider audience through this blog!

Enjoy and feel free to leave friendly and constuctive comments!