Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Can you make a living as a translator?

As a teacher of translation, the most frequently asked question I encounter from potential students is: "Can you really make a decent living as a translator?"

As a teacher of translation, I feel very strongly that this question should be answered with caution.

My answer: "You're asking me if I can make a decent living from translation? Well, thank God, I can and do. But what about you?"

I don't know if you can make a decent living from translating or not, because that depends on you. Success as a professional translator depends your ability to perform on three essential points, as well as a host of other primary skills and qualities that will also come into play at various points in your career.

But here are the "BIG 3":
  1. You produce professional quality translations
  2. You can produce the above under pressure and never* miss a deadline
  3. You market your services effectively
Please note that I have not written this list in order of priority. I'm not sure which is the most important because they are all critical.

Are you ready for the BIG 3? If so, an exciting new world awaits you. Please keep reading...

*Never say never, but you get the idea.